Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The 12 Problems of Christmas

I am SO over the holidays. The music, the treats, the fake cheer, the kids at home ALL DAY LONG. Bring on 2011 and the general population's return to everyday surliness.

Since my kids' Christmas break started, I have posted a daily Facebook status spoofing "The 12 Days of Christmas," and I thought it would be appropriate to extend that theme to my blog. So I present to you, "The 12 Problems of Christmas":
  1. Christmas break. Kids at home for 11 days. Need I say more?
  2. Last-minute gift-buying, wrapping, hiding, transporting, etc. I frequently slip a little something for myself into the cart to alleviate the stress.
  3. Food preparation for your holiday "feast" when you have already eaten so many Christmas cookies that your jeans no longer fit.
  4. Going to the madhouse, a.k.a. grocery store, in the days leading up to Christmas.
  5. Holiday music. Sure, many of the songs are beautiful, but when you've been hearing them since November 1, they get a little old.
  6. Getting the kids to bed on Christmas Eve. And then making 100 percent certain they are asleep before "playing Santa."
  7. Tacky holiday decorations. Blow-up life-size Santas and the like. Although if I found a blow-up dreidel, I would be tempted to buy it.
  8. Christmas sweaters. Santa, reindeer, gingerbread men, etc. do not belong, in any way, shape or form, on an adult clothing item.
  9. Santa. Yes, I have a problem with the fat, jolly man with monochromatic fashion sense. I just can't get behind all the trickery required to keep the story alive (although I do it anyway). And besides, why should he get all the credit? I work hard to make Christmas happen for my kids and I want some of the credit, gosh darn it (even some credit from my husband would be nice ...).
  10. Gifts for teachers and non-family members. It's not the gift that's the problem--it's remembering who "needs" a gift and making sure that person gets the gift before Christmas 2011.
  11. Christmas treats. Unless you have amazing self-control or absolutely no sweet tooth, these are definitely a problem.
  12. New toys. New toy packaging. Playing with all the new toys when all you want to do is lock yourself in your bedroom and count down the days until school resumes.

I am really not a scrooge--honest. I get into the holiday spirit as much as any central Pennsylvania Jewish girl. I enjoy spending time with my family, although this loooong "vacation" reminds me why I am not a stay-at-home mom. I am admittedly not good at "playing," although I do get a kick out of watching Lauren innocently put naked prince and princess dolls into compromising positions. Did you know how flexible Cinderella is? I also get super-exited (probably too excited) about the after-Christmas sales. I'm probably one of the few Jewish women out at the crack of dawn on December 26, snatching up holiday-themed tableware and miscellaneous half-price crap. It comes in handy when I'm dealing with #10 above.

So now Christmas is over, my kids are happy with their "haul," and I've gotten my shopping fix. Time to move on. The countdown to summer has begun.

1 comment:

  1. Amy ~ Love,love your blog! Perfect timing, especially since I'm about ready to throw my husband under the bus for not being on board as much as I am (probably because he's not as easily sucked into the insanity....am I admiting I could learn something from him?)-blah! Nice to (briefly) see you at Target 12/26-we're we both thinking "What the hell are we doing here?" Happy New Year!! Jody

    ReplyDelete